Updated : 1 Oct 13
Opened: Summer 1943
Subordinate to 14 Base: 16 Dec 1943
Airfield code :: FH
ICAO Code ::
Airfield call sign :: RIMER
Squadrons based here:
92 MU :: 1957 - 1972
RAF Faldingworth entered service life as Toft Grange decoy airfield protecting Hemswell, later becoming a satellite airfield of RAF Lindholme. On 16 Dec 1943 it became a satellite of RAF Ludford Magna under 14 Base.
92 MU moved to Faldingworth from Wickenby in 1957 to store the V-Force's H Bombs and resembled a high security prison. A storage and maintenance facility for the Blue Danube nuclear bombs. The scattering of low-lying buildings around the site did not betray its role as most of the activity was carried out underground. The facilties included an underground weapons range.
In 1971 SAC Tony Elliott was stationed at Faldingworth but billetted at Scampton.
92 MU closed in 1972 after the Royal Navy took over the nuclear deterrence role from 1969 with Polaris.
The site was later utilised by Bmarc, a subsidiary of Swiss weapons manufacturer Oerlikon-Buehrle. Amongst their weapons demonstrations carried out on site they utilised the underground range to demonstrate the power of their canon by firing it into a two-feet thick slab of steel bulkhead which had been recovered from the Tirpitz.
There is also a memorials website at http://sites.google.com/site/faldingworthmemorials/
also featured in BBC
coverage of a new exhibition commemorating Polish airmen in World
War II which was unveiled at Grantham Museum in early August 2012.
RAF Faldingworth page on Royal Air Force website
powered by blueconsultancy