|33 Squadron Royal Flying Corps|
> Units and Formations
Updated: 24 Apr 12
Formed: Jan 1916, Filton
Disbanded: Jun 1919
Squadron was based at:
Gainsborough :: Dec 1916 - Jun 1918 (Headquarters)
RFC Elsham Wolds :: Dec 1916 - Jun 1919 (C Flight), HQ from Jun 1918 - Jun 1919
RFC Kirton in Lindsey :: Dec 1916 - Jun 1919 (B Flight)
RFC Brattleby (Scampton) :: Dec 1916 - Jun 1919 (A Flight)
RFC Kelstern :: 1917
FE2b :: Dec 1916 -
FE2d :: Dec 1916 -
Bristol Fighter :: - Jun 1919
Avro 504 :: - Jun 1919
33 Squadron was formed from part of 12 Sqn at Filton on 12 Jan 1916. The first airfields in Lincolnshire were set up under the auspices of the Royal Flying Corps in 1915/6, when the new 33 Squadron RFC, formed as part of an initiative to counter the German Zeppelin raids, based its HQ in Gainsborough (including a small landing ground), and set up three airfields at Elsham, Kirton Lindsey and Brattleby. Gainsborough included the Squadron workshops.
First equipped with Royal Aircraft Factory BE2s, these were supplemented with Royal Aircraft Factory FE2s. The latter were replaced by Bristol Fighters in June 1918, which were in turn replaced by dedicated night fighter Avro 504 in August. The squadron did not destroy any enemy airships, despite a number of interceptions. The Sqn was disbanded in June 1919.
In addition to Home Defence air defence patrols, 33 Sqn RFC trained pilots and observers in night flying. C Flt, at Elsham Wolds, co-operated with the artillery batteries located at Spurn Head and Kilnsea.
powered by blueconsultancy