|Headquarters, Number 5 Group Royal Air Force|
> Units and Formations
Updated: 11 Aug 05
RAF Mildenhall :: 1 Sep 1937 - Oct 1937
RAF Grantham :: Oct 1937 - Nov 1943
RAF Swinderby (Morton Hall) :: Nov 1943 - ??
5 Group was formed from 3 Group on 1 Sep 1937 and was part of Bomber Command. Initially headquartered at RAF Mildenhall it moved to St. Vincent's House in Grantham in Oct 1937, then to Morton Hall in Morton, near Swinderby, in Nov 1943, and had Sir Arthur Harris as C-in-C. He was later to lead Bomber Command.
In 1939 all of 5 Gp's 6 operational and 2 reserve squadrons were Hampden equipped, based at four airfields. In later 1940 the Group started to convert to the ill-fated Manchester although the Group continued to performed well. In spring 1942, 5 Group introduced the Lancaster into RAF service, 44 (Rhodesia) Sqn became the first to be so equipped. By Mar 1943 the Group was entirely Lancaster equipped.
Notable wartime achievements for the Group include:
During WWII hostilities 5 Group aircraft flew 70 357 sorties and lost 1 888 aircraft of which 1 389 were Lancaster.
In 1939 the 5 Group Stations were
HQ RAF Grantham, RAF Bardney, RAF Bottesford, RAF Dunholme Lodge, RAF Fiskerton, RAF Metheringham, RAF Newton, RAF North Luffenham, RAF Skellingthorpe, , RAF Syerston, RAF Waddington, RAF Wigsley, RAF Woodhall Spa and RAF Woolfox Lodge.
According to the RAF website the Feb 1942 5 Gp Stations were
In Feb 1942 Sqns under 5 Gp command were
According to the RAF website the Jul 1943 5 Gp Stations were
In Jul 1943 Sqns under 5 Gp command were
In 1945 Sqns under 5 Gp command were
No 1 Group
No 5 Group
No 12 Group
No 18 Group
No 21 Group
No 100 Group
powered by blueconsultancy