Squadron Royal Air Force
per ignem vincimus - through fire we conquer
> Units and Formations
Formed: 25 Nov 1943
Disbanded: 31 Oct 1945
Squadron was based at:
RAF Grimsby :: 25 Nov 1943 - 3 Jan 1944
RAF North Killingholme :: 3 Jan 1944 - 31 Oct 1945
Squadron code: BQ
550 Sqn was formed from C Flt, 100 Sqn, on 25 Nov 1943. Shortly thereafter it moved to the nearly completed RAF North Killingholme and flew its first mission from there on 14 Jan 1944. From the initial single flight the Sqn grew to 3. The Sqn operated within the Main Force of Heavy Bombers under Bomber Command.
A 550 Sqn Lancaster (LL811 J-Jig (Bad Penny II)) was credited with opening the D-day attack when it dropped the first string of bombs at 23:34 on 5 Jun 1944. Combat operations continued until 25 Apr 1945 and until disbandment at the end of October the Sqn was committed to activities such as food drops to the Dutch and repatriating troops from Italy.
RAF North Killingholme and 550 Sqn are commemorated in a memorial stone in North Killingholme village close to the oil refineries. View this page "A Brief History of the RAF in Lincolnshire" and the other memorials page on this site.
A detailed squadron history has been compiled and may be found on the 550 Sqn website.
powered by blueconsultancy