|RAF Langtoft (Langtoft GCI Radar Station)|
Last updated: 16 Jan 12
Care and Maintenance: Mar 1958
Units based here:
The local history group reported that a wartime "Radio Listening Station" was located at RAF Langtoft, close to Market Deeping.
RAF Langtoft was opened in 1942 as a 'final station' Ground Control Intercept (GCI) location built in brick, often refered to as a Happidrome. The other GCI station in the wartime county was at RAF Orby. It continued to contribute to Britain's air defences after the war and was substantially enlarged during the late 1940s. In the 1950s it was again rebuilt as part of the ROTOR scheme to renew radar stations, coming online in 10 Jul 1953. The station was reduced to care and maintenance in Mar 1958, finally being sold off in the 1960s.
The station was relatively short-lived and by March 1958 it was reduced to a care and maintenance role being sold in the mid 1960s to its present owner; since which date the site has been used as a scrap yard.
Surviving buildings at the site include the control bunker, unusually for this part of the country above ground, a standard RAF guardhouse on the south side of Langtoft Drain now converted to a house.
Full details of a visit by the "RSG Group" are on the Subterranea Britannica site :: view here
Langtoft on Subterranea Britannica
powered by blueconsultancy