Updated: 9 Dec 12
Opened: Feb 1944
Care and Maintenance: Nov 1945
Allocated to USAF: 1 Apr 1954
Returned to RAF: 8 Sep 1955 for disposal
Airfield code :: SF
ICAO Code :: EGCF
Airfield call sign :: QUEENSARM
Squadrons based here:
1667 HCU :: Feb 1944 - Nov 1945
35 MU subsite :: 27 Dec 1945 - 11 Feb 1946
61 MU subsite :: 11 Feb 1946 - 4 Aug 1947
Sandtoft opened in Feb 1944 as a satellite for No 11 Base, RAF Lindholme in 1 Gp, Bomber Command. 1667 HCU and its Halifax bombers moved in from RAF Faldingworth on 20 Feb and was the only unit based at Sandtoft.
Placed on Care and Maintenance in Nov 1945 after the war, RAF Sandtoft was then maintained for brief use as an outlier of two Maintenance Units: 35 MU (27 Dec 1945 - 11 Feb 1946) and 61 MU (11 Feb 1946 - 4 Aug 1947)
Sandtoft was inactive when allocated to USAF on 1 Apr 1953. The station was never occupied by American forces and returned to UK control on 8 Sep 1955 for disposal. A flying club uses part of the old peritrack as a runway.
A small museum is developing on the site of RAF Sandtoft. Exhibits include Bloodhound Mk1 on Launcher and a Bloodhound Mk 1 / Mk2 hybrid on a Mk2 Launcher plus a Gloster Meteor and a Fairey Gannet. See the airfield website for further details :: click here
See the photographs page for images of the airfield today.
Aerial photo and Station history on Sandtoft Airfield website
Buy an aerial photo of RAF Sandtoft on GetMapping.com
powered by blueconsultancy