Opened: 8 Feb 1942
Closed: 1 Jul 1958
Airfield code :: UG
ICAO Code :: EGTW
Airfield call sign :: DONUS
Units based here:
455 Sqn RAAF :: 8 Feb 1942 - 26 Apr 1942
50 Conversion Flight :: 5 Aug 1942 - 7 Oct 1942
28 Aircrew Holding Unit :: 20 Sep 1945 - 1946
Although not strictly a Lincolnshire RAF station, RAF Wigsley sneaks in in the south-east corner of the domestic site. However more importantly it was a satellite of RAF Swinderby within Bomber Command 51 Base from 15 Mar 1943 and then 75 Base from Nov 1944.
J A Campbell, a mid-upper gunner who later served in 463 Sqn RAAF and 61 Sqn RAF has contributed his memory of 1654 HCU at Wigsley to the site.
With the departure of 455 Sqn RAAF to Coastal Command in Apr 1942, Wigsley's operational flying days had already ended and it was dedicated to operational training.
After 28 Aircrew Holding unit formed and disbanded here the airfield was retained until closure in 1958 for flying training from RAF Swinderby.
A latter-day use of the airfield was by Mr Ray Fixter in 1969 who made an attempt to fly the worlds lightest aircraft, the 'Knome' in 1969.
View photographs of modern day Wigsley.
RAF Wigsley Photographs on ControlTowers.co.ukRAF Wigsley page on Royal Air Force website
powered by blueconsultancy